What most people love about road trips is that nothing rivals the freedom that comes with being able to make stops and continue whenever you want. However, long, awkward silence can occur after several hours of sitting in the car on these journeys. We have put together a list of the best road trip questions that can spark interesting conversations so instead of napping, ask your companions these questions to make the trip fun and enjoyable.
We understand that starting a conversation doesn’t come naturally to some people. After discussing some topics with your travel companions, you may need help keeping the conversation going. We have compiled a list of the top 190 road trip questions to ensure your journey never gets boring.
These fun road trip questions can help you engage everyone in a conversation.
Road Trip Conversation Starters
We have some open-ended questions that can help you start some great conversations.
- Who is your secret celebrity crush?
- Which cartoon did you enjoy watching the most as a child?
- What’s your favorite travel memory?
- What songs do you like but would be embarrassed if other people found out you listened to them?
- Do you have any cool scars? How did you get them?
- What’s the craziest fact you know?
- What’s something that most people love about you but you dislike?
- If you had a yacht, what’s the first place you would sail to?
- What is your most treasured possession?
- What are you most scared of?
- What’s the strangest thing you’ve done while traveling?
- If you could have the powers of a superhero, what would they be and why?
- Which instrument would you learn to play if you could magically master it overnight?
- If you could live expense-free in any country for six months, which country would you choose?
If you’re traveling with kids, check out the best printable travel games to make car rides fun for your little ones.
Road Trip Questions For Everyone
If you’re traveling with friends and family, we suggest you check out these questions, as they’re suitable for everyone.
- Besides a cat or a dog, what other pet would you like to have?
- What’s the worst advice you’ve ever received?
- Which three things would you take if you were going to a desert island?
- If you had a boat, what would you call it?
- What would your dream house look like?
- What’s your favorite childhood memory?
- What’s your favorite season of the year?
- What did you like most about your first crush?
- Have you ever broken a bone? If so, how did it happen?
- What do you think happens after you die?
- Which would you rather visit if you had a time machine: the past or the future?
- What were the top three highlights of the past year?
- What are you looking forward to the most on this trip?
- Do you have any recurring dreams and what are they about?
Tip: You can read the questions and ask the entire group to take turns answering them.
Fun Road Trip Questions
Check out some fun road trip questions that can help bring life to a tedious journey.
- What is your most embarrassing childhood memory?
- What three items would you take from your home if there was a zombie apocalypse?
- Who are the top three people who have influenced your life?
- What’s one skill or talent you wish you had?
- Who’s the most famous person you’ve ever met?
- If you won the lottery, what three things would you buy first?
- What is your most hilarious drunk memory?
- What would you add to your morning routine if you could wake up earlier?
- What’s the weirdest dream you have ever had?
- If you could have a conversation with one non-living person, who would it be?
Go here to find the best beach games for a fun summer holiday.
Funny Road Trip Questions
These funny questions can help you pass the time while having a good laugh.
- What’s the worst outfit you’ve ever worn when you were younger?
- What was your nickname when you were young?
- What’s the funniest tongue twister you’ve ever heard?
- Who do you think would win if 50 chickens fought a bear?
- What is the dumbest thing you’ve ever done that got you hurt?
- If you had to live in the same room with a goat or a raccoon, which one would you choose?
- What’s the funniest thing you’ve heard from a child?
- What’s the most embarrassing thing you’ve ever said out loud?
- What’s the worst pick-up line you have ever heard?
- What’s the funniest sound you can make?
- What’s the weirdest place you’ve ever fallen asleep?
- Which reality TV show, if any, would you consider appearing on?
- What’s the strangest thing a guest has done while staying at your house?
- What’s one way to get someone to dump you after the first date?
- Which do you believe came first, the egg or the chicken?
Tip: Print several copies of these funny questions so everyone can take turns reading them aloud.
Road Trip Questions For Couples
Here are some of the best road trip questions for couples that can help you learn new things about your partner.
- What’s your favorite memory with me?
- What little things could I do to make your day better?
- Would you rather be admired, loved or respected?
- What kinds of behaviors do you consider cheating in a relationship?
- What would be an ideal date night for you?
- Which of my qualities do you think is the best?
- What is your favorite memory from our first date?
- What’s one non-sexual act that turns you on?
- What’s the best gift I gave you?
- What would you consider our greatest strength as a couple?
Find more exciting couples questions for road trips in our blog post.
Road Trip Questions For Kids
Kids don’t have to feel left out during long car rides. We also have some fun questions for children.
- What do you plan to do when you’re older?
- What are three things that you’re really good at?
- What new name, if any, would you choose if you had the option?
- What would your book be about if you wrote one?
- What’s the silliest thing you’ve ever done?
- If you had a store, what would you sell?
- What would your dream treehouse look like?
- What would your stuffed animals say if they could speak?
- What’s the grossest food you’ve ever eaten?
- What’s your favorite bedtime story?
- If you had a robot servant, which tasks would you tell him to do?
- When you get older, what inventions do you hope to design?
- What would you do if you were a parent for a day?
- If you were driving this car, where would you take us to?
- Where would you go if you had a private airplane for a day?
Click here to find the best travel games for kids.
Road Trip Questions For A Family
These fun car ride questions are great for road trips with your family.
- Who is the funniest person you know?
- If you could be an animal for a day, what would you be?
- What would be a perfect day for you?
- Which memories with your family do you cherish the most?
- Who do you think would win if an alien and a robot got into a fight?
- How do you show someone you love them?
- If you could give 200 dollars to help someone, who would you give them to?
- What makes you feel special?
- What are the qualities and traits of a good friend?
- If you could be invisible for a day, what would you do?
- What do you think should be our family motto?
- What one word would you use to describe this family?
- What family traditions have we abandoned that you’d like to reintroduce?
- What would be your three wishes if you found a genie?
Check out more family road trip questions on our blog.
Tip: Adults can take turns driving so each person has a chance to rest and answer some questions.
Road Trip Questions For Friends
This interesting list of questions can help you learn more about your friends on a road trip.
- What’s one thing that I don’t know about you?
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would you change?
- What keeps you up when you can’t sleep?
- What’s the best present you have ever received and who gave it to you?
- Would you rather be good at many things or an expert at just one?
- What’s your favorite TikTok video?
- What qualities attract you to a person of the opposite sex?
- What is the luckiest thing that has ever happened to you?
- If you were the president of this country, what’s the first thing you’d change?
- What foreign languages would you love to learn and why?
- What’s your favorite karaoke song?
See here for the best road trip games.
Would You Rather Road Trip Questions
“Would you rather” questions can help you start a conversation with just about anyone. We have compiled some of the best ‘’Would you rather’’ questions you can ask friends, family or your spouse during a road trip.
- Would you rather have a job you love and are proud of or one that pays really well but you don’t enjoy?
- Would you rather have good friends but struggle with money or bad friends but be wealthy?
- Would you rather be able to see the future or read minds?
- Would you rather spend your day at a zoo or theme park?
- Would you rather be the most attractive or the most intelligent person in the world?
- Would you rather lose your sight or become deaf?
- Would you rather be able to change one thing about your past or control one thing about your future?
- Would you rather live to 100 and have a boring life or live to 50 and have an exciting life?
- Would you rather be killed by a shark or a bear?
- Would you rather climb Mount Everest or swim in the Great Barrier Reef?
Check out these awesome travel board games next that you can take on your road trip.
Deep Road Trip Questions
The long journey gives you a chance to think and have meaningful conversations. We’ve compiled some deep road trip questions that can lead to serious conversations.
1. Do you believe in the afterlife?
2. If you could change two things about society, what would you change?
3. Do you find making friends to be simple or difficult?
4. Do you think popularity is important and why (not)?
5. Are looks or brains more important to you?
6. If you could know the precise date and time of your death, would you want to?
7. Who would you miss the most if they died?
Tip: Answer the same question you asked so the conversation isn’t one-sided.
8. When did you last experience genuine joy?
9. What’s the biggest loss you’ve suffered in your life?
10. Do you get attached to material things?
11. What does “home” mean to you?
12. What kind of legacy do you want to leave behind?
13. Do you think being rich makes one happy?
If some of your travel companions are teenagers, find the best travel games for teens here.
Road Trip Questions About Travel
During the journey, you can discuss your travel experiences by asking questions about them.
- What’s your best vacation experience?
- Which wild animal would you like to see in the wild?
- What is the best meal you’ve had while on vacation?
- What’s your worst vacation experience?
- Which destination would you like to go to on your honeymoon?
- If you could live in any country for a year, which would it be?
- What’s the most daring thing you’ve done on a road trip?
- Who’s your favorite traveling companion?
- Where should we travel next?
- Which place should everyone visit at least once in their lifetime?
- Do you prefer to drive on backroads or highways?
- What do you always take with you when traveling?
- Have you ever been late for a flight?
Find the best baby travel toys here to keep your toddlers occupied on trips.
Road Trip Questions About Aspirations And The Future
The questions here will help you assess your goals and future plans.
1. What’s your biggest motivation?
2. What’s your biggest fear about getting older?
3. What are the things you wish you could do better?
4. What are your primary goals in life?
5. What makes you stop working on your goal and give up?
Tip: Make a playlist of everyone’s favorite songs and play it along the way to make the journey more enjoyable.
6. What have you always wanted to do but have been afraid to attempt?
7. What is one habit you want to change?
8. What achievement do you think would have the biggest impact on your life?
9. If you could give advice to any version of your past self, who would it be and why?
10. What’s your ideal job?
11. What goals must you achieve to feel fulfilled?
12. What matters most in your life?
13. What are your family objectives?
14. Who is your role model?
Click here to find other family-friendly games for car rides.
Road Trip Trivia Questions
If it seems like everyone has shared too much personal information, you can take a break by asking these trivia questions.
- Which state has the largest fish statue?
- Who operates the GPS (Global Positioning System)?
Answer: The Department of Defense (DoD)
- What type of animal is the sculpture called “Lucy”, that can be found in New Jersey?
- In which city is the world’s crookedest street?
Answer: San Francisco
- Which President signed the act to create the U.S Highway system?
Answer: Dwight D. Eisenhower
- How many bones are there in a human hand?
Answer: 27 bones
- In which U.S. state is the world’s largest six-pack of beer?
- What was the first national park in the United States?
Answer: Yellowstone National Park
- In which country is the Great Ocean Road located?
- What was New York called initially before the name was changed to New York?
Answer: New Amsterdam
Warning: The driver can participate in the game by answering questions but must not be the one reading the questions.
“Least/Most” Road Trip Questions
These “least or most” road trip questions can help you figure out what your friends, family or spouse prefer and dislike.
- What’s your least favorite word?
- What’s your favorite word?
- What is your favorite occasion to dress up for?
- Who’s your favorite superhero and why?
- Who’s your least favorite superhero and why?
- What’s your least favorite thing about your job?
- What’s your favorite thing about your job?
- What’s your favorite small animal?
- What’s your favorite thing about growing up?
- What’s your favorite and least favorite time of the year?
- What’s your favorite cocktail?
- What’s your favorite movie of all time?
- What’s your most treasured memory?
Food Road Trip Questions
To wrap up this list, we’ve prepared some random road trip questions about food you can ask your companions on the road.
- Which dish are you best at cooking?
- Do you prefer to eat healthy food or junk food?
- What’s your favorite restaurant?
- Do you like trying new foods and dishes?
- What snack do you like the most?
- When choosing a restaurant, what do you look for?
- What soda do you like the most?
- Have you ever tried coconut water?
- Do you prefer hamburgers or pizza?
- Do you count calories when eating?
- How many calories do you eat daily?
- What are your favorite pizza toppings?
- What was the most expensive meal you’ve ever had and how much did it cost?
- What’s your favorite type of meat?
Road Safety Tips
The following safety tips can help you avoid accidents when going on a road trip.
1. Make sure your vehicle is in good running condition.
2. Ensure all occupants of the vehicle wear a seat belt.
Note: Use the booster seats for children, which are appropriate for their weight and height.
3. Pay attention to the road at all times when driving.
4. Don’t use your phone or other gadgets while driving.
5. Do not overspeed.
6. Don’t attempt to pick up items that fall to the floor while driving.
7. Always obey traffic rules and traffic signs.
8. Don’t drink and drive.
9. Overtake when it’s safe to do so.
10. Schedule a break for food and rest during your journey.
Frequently Asked Questions
What you can talk about on a road trip depends on who you’re going with. If you’re going on this trip with a new partner, you should seize this opportunity to ask them questions about things you’ve never discussed. If you’re traveling with friends and family, you can ask random funny questions that will make everyone laugh.
You can talk about things you’ve always wanted to learn about your boyfriend, when going on a road trip with him. Ask him questions that will initiate discussions you’ve never had before. You can also ask him questions about the future of your relationship. The most important thing is to interact and have fun.
You can make a long road trip fun by talking with the people in the car. Long car rides can become dull if everyone remains silent or keeps looking at their phones. Prompt discussions with some pleasant conversation starters or ask funny questions. You can also play music and sing along.
To enjoy road trips, you must look for ways to keep everyone entertained throughout the journey. Take things that will keep you engaged, such as books, puzzles and gadgets. Kids can also bring their toys along to play with. Take some time to talk to other people in the car to learn more about them.
You should bring a backpack full of things you find amusing on a road trip so you don’t get bored. Things such as books, handheld game consoles and puzzles can keep you entertained for most of the journey. You can also play question games, where everyone takes turns asking each other questions.
You can pass the time on a road trip by chatting with others. Some deep discussions can last for hours and help you understand the other person better. Another option is to play games and watch movies on your gadgets. You can also make a playlist of your favorite songs so that everyone can sing along.
It’s only natural to be bored after spending hours on the road. With our extensive list of these exciting road trip questions, you’ll never run out of topics to discuss while traveling or on long car rides. These car ride questions can help you make deeper connections with your travel companions or get everyone laughing.