Of the many sports in the world, basketball is one of the most well-known and timeless. No matter where you’re from or what you know about basketball, it’s always a great conversation starter since everyone knows a thing or two about it. For more than a century, this world-renowned sport has paved the way for tradition, culture, hobby and passion. With that said, it is no surprise that more and more boys and girls alike are developing their interest in basketball.
For some, watching is enough, while others want to push themselves and play the sport. Of course, starting something requires knowing the basics such as rules, moves, equipment and shoes. In this article, we’ll walk you through a refresher or introduction to the world of basketball. Everything starts somewhere, so consider this your starting point. Who knows, maybe this is a sport meant for you.
As mentioned earlier, this is a sport that has existed for more than a century now. But to be more specific, basketball was invented in December 1891 by Dr. James Naismith. This was because he wanted to create an activity to keep youth athletes active during the winter. Because snow can pose a hazard during these seasons, an indoor activity is a must. While there are a number of records and news that talk about injuries of players, basketball was originally meant to be a safer sport.
Basic Basketball Rules
To play a game fair and square, a set of rules must be implemented. In the world of basketball, here are some basic rules.
- Five players per team are allowed to play on the court.
- The team that scores more than the other is the winner.
- Dribbling the ball should only be done with one hand.
- Players cannot kick, hit or use an elbow to move the ball.
- Players cannot harm or make violent physical contact with members of the opposing team. This counts as a foul.
Since basketball is a sport where you have to move around, you have to prepare an attire that can absorb your sweat well and in which you can move freely. The game of basketball is a tiring one, which guarantees that before half of the game, you’re probably already covered in sweat. Aside from that, your sportswear should also help decrease the risk of injuries during the game.
Here are a few reminders when it comes to your basketball wear.
- Opt for loose-fitting clothes. Depending on your preference, wearing loose-fitting clothes offers a more comfortable way of moving around.
- Wear shorts or jogging pants, depending on what you are comfortable in.
- If you’re a beginner, you can opt to wear knee pads or protective bands.
- Although not required, it is advisable to wear the right basketball shoes to avoid any sprains or injuries in your ankles, knees or foot area. Out of the many pairs of basketball shoes that the market offers, here you can see the best ones from a variety of models.
How To Wear Basketball Shoes
Now that you know the basics of basketball as well as the right sports attire to wear, knowing how to wear basketball shoes is an important nugget of knowledge you need. So, here’s how to wear them.
- While basketball shoes are intended for basketball, they aren’t limited to the court. You can also use them casually and partner them with your jeans and shirts.
- In picking your basketball shoes, opt for those that have elevated or curved soles. These are the shoes that will lessen the severity of your sprain and will be less stressful for your ankle.
- One underrated rule when it comes to basketball shoes is that they can be used for running, but running shoes aren’t advisable when playing basketball.
The Final Word
Now that you know almost everything you need to know about basketball shoes, you can choose your favorite pair and enjoy the game. Happy shooting!